Welcome to Saint Francis of Assisi Church Marriage Preparation Program
We rejoice with you as you begin the preparations for the celebration of your lives together. From the outset, we assure you of our prayers and support from the Staff at St. Francis of Assisi in Incline Village.
The following information is available in PDF format; feel free to click on this link and print this information and use it as your guideline to plan your special day at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church at Lake Tahoe.
Christian marriage is a Sacrament in which a man and woman join in a community of love with the possibility of becoming a family. In the love that binds two into one, the Christian Community finds an expression of the great love God has for us, a love that binds us to God and to each other as well. The couple confers the Sacrament of Matrimony on each other. In doing so, the two become a source of grace, one for the other. The living out of their commitment to one another for the whole of their lives is a source of renewed grace each day for them, and a reminder to all of us of God’s presence and love.
The couple has the opportunity to take an active part in planning the celebration of the wedding liturgy. To help you in the preparation of this important event, we have prepared this document for you.
We encourage you to read it together and to note any questions you may have so that when you meet with the Marriage Preparation Team your talk may be fruitful.
Who may be married at St. Francis of Assisi?
One person must provide documentation showing they are a registered member of their local Catholic parish for six months prior to their wedding.
We recognize that St. Francis of Assisi, and Lake Tahoe in general, is a destination wedding location for many couples wishing to marry. Therefore we allow Catholics who are not St. Francis of Assisi parishioners to be married in our beautiful church providing they receive their marriage preparation instruction at their local parish.
Who may officiate?
The parish Priest of St. Francis of Assisi or other Catholic clergy may officiate at the marriage of those who wish to marry at St. Francis of Assisi. Arrangements may be made for the visiting clergy to obtain a license to officiate at the wedding in the State of Nevada from Washoe County. Please have the Catholic clergy contact Beth Krewedl by email hide email: Krewedl@gmail.com or 530-587-1172 or cell 530-414-4653.
Necessary Documents Prior to Planning Your Ceremony
The following documents are necessary before marriage. The Diocese of Reno accepts the legal documentation in the Diocese in which you receive your marriage preparation. All Dioceses require the following:
- Baptismal Certificates: A copy of both of your baptismal certificates or a copy of a Birth Certificate of a non-baptized participant must be submitted.
- Pre-Nuptial Documentation: The Priest or Marriage Preparation Team will help the couple with this documentation.
- Affidavits (2 per person) stating freedom to marry: The Personal Testimonial Form (affidavits) from a parent, relative or close friend, that each person to be married is free to do so.
- Marriage license: Issued by the State of Nevada. It must be presented to the Wedding Coordinator prior to the wedding.
- Engagement Encounter Certificate and a Pre-Marital Assessment Inventory: Most Dioceses require this document.
- Canonical Form: Sometimes it is necessary to obtain special permissions or dispensation before a marriage may take place. The Priest preparing the couple will explain this and assist in obtaining whatever is necessary.
- Annulment of a Marriage Document: If either party has been married in a Catholic or other Christian religious ceremony please contact your parish priest to begin the annulment process as it takes approximately one year for the decision to be made. Neither Weddings or Convalidation of a Civil Marriage cannot be performed without this document.
- Wedding Contract: Once you have confirmed your reservation with our Marriage Preparation Minister, please print and complete our Contract and send it with your deposit to “save a date” to:
After the celebration of the marriage liturgy, a notification that it has taken place will be sent to the church of baptism of the Catholic parties.
St. Francis of Assisi
701 Mt. Rose Highway
Incline Village, Nevada 89451
IMPORTANT NOTE: Couples receiving their pre-marital preparation in their home parish need to have all their documents sent to the following location (not to St. Francis of Assisi):
Diocese of Reno
Tribunal Office, Att: Fr. Joseph Abraham
290 S. Arlington Ave., Suite 200,
Reno, Nv. 89501
Common Policy for pastoral Marriage Preparation, Diocese of Reno
“Couples are encouraged to contact their Priest and begin formal marriage preparation as soon as they make a decision to marry. As a minimum requirement couples must contact the Priest and begin their preparation at least six months before the proposed wedding date. This is not intended as a “Waiting Period” but rather one of preparation. Therefore the process of such preparation should begin at the first meeting with the Priest or the St. Francis of Assisi Marriage Preparation Team. Concern with the immediate preparation for the wedding itself can make it difficult for the couple to benefit fully from the preparation itself. Thus it is highly desirable for the couple to complete all the steps of preparation at least two months before the wedding date.”
Special considerations : Persons under the age of 19 who wish to marry will be asked to receive individual evaluative counseling before the marriage can be arranged.
Six Months Preparation
Marriage is an important Sacrament. A sufficient period is given to its preparation. Like most Catholic Dioceses, the Diocese of Reno requires couples to contact St. Francis of Assisi at least six months before the marriage. The following is part of that preparation.
Pre Marital Inventory (PMI)
During the preparation period, the Marriage Preparation Team that helps the couple will provide what is called the Pre-Marital Inventory and/or PMI. This program aids the couple examining mutual feelings and expectations of marriage. Through this program, the couple develops a mature and solid relationship necessary for marriage.
It is to be noted that the Priest or Marriage Preparation Team helping the couple may determine there is a question regarding the couple’s readiness for marriage. He/they may refer the couple to a professional for evaluation and assessment.
Besides the PMI Program, the couple attends the following preparation. A weekend (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) to be shared by the couple with others preparing for marriage. This weekend experience assists in developing communication skills by giving each person the opportunity for honest, intensive sharing about their future lives together.
The schedule for the Engaged Encounter, held in the Student Center at Bishop Manogue High School in Reno, NV, may be obtained by calling (775) 324-5683 or registering online at www.renoee.org. Your Priest or Marriage Preparation Team may also have a sign-up brochure. There is a fee of $185 for attending the ECE weekend in Reno.
If you live in the San Francisco Bay area the contact information may be found at http://www.sfcee.org/ or http://www.engagedencounter.org/ Attendance at Engaged Encounter is mandatory for all couples receiving their instruction in the Diocese of Reno.
If your marriage preparation takes place with the St. Francis of Assisi Marriage Team you are encouraged to read the following books which may be discussed during your meeting:
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage by Walt and Barb Larimore